Plan and elevation of the Ponte Fabricio (Pons Fabricius)
This beautiful engraving shows Ponte Fabricio, or Ponte dei Quattro Capi, the oldest Roman bridge in Rome. The bridge still exists in its original state. Built in 62 BC, it spans half of the Tiber River, from the Campus Martius on the east side to Tiber Island in the middle. Quattro Capi (“four heads”) refers to the two marble pillars of the two-faced Janus herms on the parapet, which were moved here from the nearby Church of St Gregory (Monte Savello) in the 14th century.
Engraved and published by Giovanni-Battista Piranesi, a famous Italian engraver and architect. He was born in Morano di Mestre on 4 October 1720 and died in Rome on 9 November 1778. Piranesi was known by the nickname “Rembrandt of architecture”. The artist did not only reproduced the ancient vestiges of the power of Rome but was also one of the most authoritative archaeologists of his time. Despite a great reputation and magnificent fame, Piranesi never got rich because of the very low prices of his works. He was a member of the Order of Christ and the London Antiques Society. Extremely rare collector’s example from Piranesi’s first and most important work “Le Antichita Romane”
Dimension of the plate: 509 x 309 mm; 12 x 20 inches (approx)
Engraver: Giovanni Battista Piranesi
Condition: Line of folding, minor foxing, sheet worn along the edges, with some tears.
Item will be shipped in a cardboard tube.
For other details of item condition, please see the photos. More photos available on demand. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us.
This is an original antique map. We don’t sell reproductions.